Saturday, February 20, 2010

21. WHAT IS UP WITH THE SONG WE ARE THE WORLD?

In 1985 several artist contributed on a charity single called “We Are the Word.” The song, written by Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie was released in order to help those in need in Africa. Now in 2010, a “remix” was released in early February to help the cause of the Haiti earthquake. This new song was entitled “We Are the World 25 for Haiti,” with new lyrics by Will.I.Am. I personally love this song, but there have been some critics about it, relating on the artists contributing in it. Of course the first thing I heard was that Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber killed the song. Yet I read comments on Youtube about how much people loved those two. Other people didn't like Lil Wayne's solo. I know I did! Some didn't like Kanye West's solo, maybe because they are still hurt for what he did to Taylor Swift. There are some great vocal artists in this song, like Celine Dion, Jennifer Hudson, Josh Groban, the beautiful Nicole Scherzinger and many more. I personally liked how each singer made the song their own, and the singing of the Haitian-American Wycleaf Jean (The guy who sang Hips Don't Lie with Shakira), he made this song interesting with his cool vocals. Also some people did not like the part where they rap, I think it was a great touch to today's generation. Here is something interesting, I recently heard is that there will be Spanish version released in March first in Univision in Christina's show. I guess this song made such a big impact that they had to make it in Spanish entitled “Somos El Mundo”. I can't wait to hear it, I know Shakira, Gloria Estefan, Thalia, David Archuleta, The Black Eyed peas and several others will be in it, and I bet that instead of rap there will be some reggaeton in it. I like the old song, the new song, and I am sure I will like the one in Spanish, it is amazing how people can come together like this and help each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment