Saturday, January 30, 2010

18. WHAT IS UP WITH PEOPLE THINKING “MEXICAN” IS A LANGUAGE?

I asked friends about thinks that make them say “What is up with that?” in order to inspire my blog, and Julie, or Yuliana Alfaro, she gave me a very funny one. This has never happened to me, but apparently it has to her, for she seemed very concerned about it. As we all know there are some pretty dumb people out there, and apparently some of those people can't tell the difference between languages and nationalities. Julie in a way seems white, and many people are surprised when they hear her speak Spanish, in fact I was one of them when I first met her in the seventh grade. Well apparently someone told her: “OMG you speak Mexican?!” Those were her exact words. I personally thought it was hilarious. So she is Salvadorian, and yet she speaks Mexican, I don't know about you, but that is hilarious. I have been thinking hard about this, and maybe people take it like the word “French.” French can be a person from France, or the language from France. Or maybe they are just stupid, who knows.
PS: Speaking technically here, I have realized that if anyone speaks “Mexican” the only ones who could do that would be only Mexicans. For the Spanish from different Hispanic countries have a difference in their Spanish. The Spanish from Chile to Colombia to Mexico to Spain are not exactly the same. They differentiate not only by accent, but there are words in particular that mean different things in each country.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment